The Senior Data Engineer will work within a multi-skilled agile team to design and develop large-scale data processing software that meets user needs and is of sufficient quality for promotion to users.
- Working to develop data processing software within a team. Development will incorporate design, coding, testing and defect fixing.
- Working with other team members to solve problems by designing elements of the application software.
- Working with architects to ensure the software supports non-functional needs.
- Working with Ops to ensure the application software is operationally ready.
- Advising customers and managers on the estimated effort and technical implications of user stories and user journeys.
- Coaching and mentoring more junior technical staff.
- Comply with all confidentiality and non-disclosure policies and/or agreements and ensures security of information at all times
- Has software development experience with distributed data processing technologies including Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Key-Value stores.
- Has software development experience in open source technologies including: JVM languages, Python, R, Ruby.
- Has good understanding of ETL/ELT data processing pipelines
- Has successfully developed multiple large-scale data processing solutions.
- Has good understanding of NoSQL data stores.
- Has data modelling experience with RDBMS and NoSQL data stores
The following are required skills for Senior Data Engineers:
- Has coached and mentored junior and experienced technical staff.
- Able to make effective decisions within fast-moving Agile delivery.
- Writes code that is testable and has experience of automated unit testing.
- Has experience using continuous integration tools and techniques (e.g. Jenkins).
- Has advised architects on technologies and development practices.
- Able to work collaboratively with others using version control (e.g. Git)
- Able to simply and clearly communicate technology in conversation, documentation and presentations.
- Has an open attitude to sharing information.
- Able to prioritise their own time and activities.
The following are desirable skills:
- Has software development experience with Cloudera’s distribution of Apache Hadoop.
- Has experience of data visualisation and data wrangling.
- Actively shares their thoughts and views on data best practices.
- Has an understanding of general text engineering and associated NLP algorithms.
- Has participated in development and/or technology communities.
- Has contributed to open source projects.
Our work is both challenging and rewarding. You’ll need a positive attitude and the ability to work independently, to adapt your style and practices in order to respond to changing circumstances.
You will need to be highly flexible, including willingness to travel frequently and work away from your home base.
Kainos is a professional services organisation with clients spread across the globe and we deliver projects both from client site, and from our offices. While we will attempt to base you on projects near or at your contracted office location, you need to be willing to travel to client sites and spend time away during the week if it is required.
Given the range and nature of work that we carry out for our clients, all Kainos employees are required to possesses up to date security clearance (Basic Disclosure, Access NI etc.), if you do not already possess this, you will be asked to apply for it prior to joining Kainos.
We’re an inclusive bunch at Kainos and we believe in equal opportunity. We welcome applications from all walks
of life, including those with criminal records. Everyone who is offered a position here undergoes a background
check, however no one is treated differently due to their background where it isn’t relevant to the role. It’s
important to note – failure to reveal information which is relevant to the position sought, could result in us
having to withdraw the conditional offer of employment.
In short: Having a criminal record will not exclude you from a career with Kainos. This depends entirely on the
nature and requirements of the position, together with the circumstances and background of offences.